Heartgard Plus for Dogs prevents heartworm infection in dogs and puppies. Heartgard Plus heartworm treatment contains ivermectin which interferes with the parasite's nerve transmission causing paralysis and death of the parasite and pyrantel pamote which treats and controls roundworms and hookworms. Chewable Heartgard Plus tablets are administered monthly and should be chewed, not swallowed. Most dogs like the taste of heartgard plus chewables and will accept them as a treat. The blue package of Heartgard Plus for Dogs is formulated for dogs up to 25 lbs. Heartgard Plus for Dogs is safe for dogs and puppies over six weeks of age as well as pregnant females.
Heartgard Plus for Dogs Heartworm Medication requires a prescription.
► Watch Video on Heartworm Disease and Heartgard Plus
- Use as directed by your veterinarian
- Follow the instructions on the prescription label
- Store HEARTGARD PLUS at room temperature
- HEARTGARD PLUS should given by mouth once a month year-round
- Do not use in puppies less than 6 weeks old
- Dosage is based on your pet's weight
- Use a combination of 2 tablets for dogs over 100 pounds