Quest (moxidectin) 2% Equine Oral Gel when administered at the recommended dose level of 0.4 mg moxidectin/kg (2.2 lbs.) body weight is effective in the treatment and control of the following stages of gastrointestinal parasites in horses and ponies: Large strongyles (strongyles edentatus-adults and tissue stages), Small strongyles, Encysted cyathostomes, Ascarids, Pin worms, Hair worms, Large-mouth stomach worms and Horse stomach bots. One administration of the recommended dose rate of QUEST 2% Equine Oral Gel also suppresses strongyle egg production through 84 days. Quest is indicated for use in horses and ponies, including mares and stallions, and foals four months of age and older.
HOW TO SET THE DOSE
Since the dose is based on the weight of the animal, you need to use a scale or weight tape to find each animal’s weight before treating with QUEST® Gel. Once the weight is known, set the dose for each horse or pony as follows.
1. Hold the syringe with the capped end pointing to the left and so that you can see the weight measurements and tick marks (small black lines) as shown in the diagram below. Each tick mark relates to 50 lbs. of body weight.
2. Turn the green dial ring until the left side of the ring lines up with the weight of the animal. In the diagram below, the dial ring is set to dose a 500 lb. animal.
1. Make sure there is no feed in the animal’s mouth.
2. Remove the cap from the end of the syringe. Save the cap for reuse.
3. Place the tip of the syringe inside the animal’s mouth at the space between the teeth.
4. Gently push the plunger until it stops, depositing the gel on the back of the tongue.
5. Remove the syringe from the animal’s mouth and raise the animal’s head slightly to make sure it swallows the gel.
6. Replace the syringe cap.